After all this time of trying various task managers, it feels like I’m starting to settle on one. Believe it or not, it’s one of the tools I started out trying and discarding for various reasons, but after much hunting and pecking and trying and pulling and reading and writing.. I’m about *this* close to settling down.
Yes, I’m going to bite the bullet and commit.
This is a really big deal for me, because this search has gone on for quite a while. I’ve tried numerous systems, and even used multiple todo lists at the same time.
I’ve tried pure web-based applications and pure iPhone apps. I’ve tried using Outlook to manage my tasks and a OS X to email combination.
Through everything I’ve tried, only one application has had the best customer support, iPhone application, and web application that makes it easy, cheap, and possible to use a GTD system to manage my tasks, be they management, animation, home, etc.
Yes, I hate the web-based UI. I can’t stand that I can’t have subtasks unless I pay for support. The name makes me think of the Denny’s “rooty tooty fresh ‘n fruity” commercial from the 90’s.
But even with all that, every other todo application I’ve tried has been lacking in some area, and Toodledo (shudder) lacks the least. The only thing I really don’t like about it is the UI on the web page, and there are so many other ways of integrating with it that I can get over that.
Here are the things I dig about it:
- The iPhone application – easy to use, syncs fast, 4 bucks
- The forums – super crazy active with great advice!
- The developers – actively working to improve their product. This is more than I can say about RTM and Todoist, my two other favorite apps
- Integration with other tools – iPhone, twitter, email, google gadgets, firefox, ical, rss, jott… the list goes on and on!
- Customized saved searches
- Tags and contexts and folders and goals.. and subtasks if you’re a pro subscriber!
So if you haven’t tried Toodledo, give it a try.. but use this link:
if you do, because if 4 people sign up I get pro access for life! 🙂