The past two posts have looked at techniques I use to animate as efficiently as possible. They are common tools for time management, and can really be used for any endeavor. I definitely find them useful for managing my stress level and allowing me to crank out more footage.

But you’ll notice that the title of these posts have also included the word “Quality”. In this post, I’d like to focus on that aspect of this equation, since without quality, quantity means.. well.. poop.

Seriously.  If given the choice, I would rather have an animator on my team who created one frigging mind blowingly amazing shot than an animator who created 15 piss-poor shots.

But those are extremes, right?  In the real world, each animator can’t only produce a single shot in a film, and I certainly won’t be happy if all my animators just crank out pure drivel at a rate of 15 feet per week.  (for those of you who haven’t worked in “feet” before, 1 foot is 16 frames of film.  There are 24 frames per second,  so 2 seconds of film is 3 feet of animation.  At most studios a weekly quota for an animator can range from 3-6 feet per week depending on complexity.  That’s 48-96 frames per week of finished animation).

Crappy animation produced quickly is still crappy animation.

So how do we hit that quality mark that is so important?

Before I answer that, I think it’s important to qualify what we consider “quality” animation.

To do this, I’m going to use a fun technique of organizing ideas that I learned about recently.  It’s kind of similar to a mind map, but instead I’m going to use stickies or “post it notes”.  I heard about this while listening to a class by the “sticky-note-ninja“, a woman named Kate who works at Adaptive Path, a “user experience” company.

The podcast had a whole bunch of really interesting techniques of using Post-its to come to common themes and ideas when designing user interfaces.  I think that the same idea can be used to quickly throw down a bunch of thoughts, and then organize them into common themes for further exploration for animation.

To try and see if I could use this technique to come up with a clear definition of “quality” for an animation shot, I went to the website Edistorm, and quickly threw together a bunch of “virtual post-it notes” that each had a single idea of what I thought of when I thought of a “quality” shot.

As you can see, there are just some random phrases in there like “rhythm”, “contrast”, “emotional”, etc.  You can certainly expand on this and add a few more of your own, but you get the idea.

This in and of itself isn’t very exciting.  What is exciting however is what happens next.  We take each of these “post-it” notes and start arranging them into clusters.  Pretty soon, you can start to see some patterns emerge.

We have grouped this random collection of thoughts about what adds quality to a shot into 3 sections.  I’ll color them so we can see them a bit better:

On the left we have words like “focus”, “intent”, “funny”, “emotional” “connect with the audience”.  To me, these all feel like acting and directing words.

On the right are things like “graphic”, “timing”, “arcs”, “polish”. These are animation terms.. technical and artistic things we do to make the movement look nice.

In the middle are words that I think can apply in both areas.. “contrast”, “entertaining”, “unique”.  Really great acting has to be unique to the character, just as it’s important for the rhythm of each shot to feel unique and special.   I kind of feel that these terms can be defined as over-arching themes for quality work… things I want to be thinking of while working on my two main areas of focusacting and animation.

What interests me about this image is that even though I threw it together rather quickly, I can easily see that if I want to have a really great shot, I need to focus on both animation and acting.  I know this seems basic and obvious.  The thing is by doing this exercise with stickies I can give myself some concrete goals to focus on to MAKE my acting and animation better.

If someone says I need to work on the quality of the animation on my shot, I can look at these things specifically and say to myself “did I check my arcs?  Is my timing off? What about the rhythm?”   The same is true with acting: “Am I hitting the right emotion? Is the shot funny enough? Am I connecting with the audience?”

We’ve  talked a little bit earlier how making beautiful animation can take time.  Creating nice arcs, beautiful spacing with unique rhythm means that you’re going to have to take the time to finesse the heck out of the shot.  There’s only so much you can do there to make this process go faster, so let’s take a look at the other side of the equation..Acting.

How do we make sure that the acting we’re working on is the best it can possibly be?   There are two things we need to know in order to make sure we’re hitting the mark on this.  The first thing we have to know is who the character is.  We’ve got to understand as much about the character as possible in order to have a clear idea as to what they would do in any given situation.  What was her relationship with her parents like?  Does she have any sort of physical deformities?  If your character was once attacked by a stapler when she was a child, how do you think she would handle walking through an office building?  Does she think before reacting, or does she react and then think?  Would this cause her to lead her movements with her head or with her heart?  Is she open to new ideas?  Closed?  How would she hold her arms in social situations?  Down at her side?  Crossed?  Hand on her hip?  Does she bite her lip when she’s nervous, or pick her fingernails?

All of these things help clarify your character’s style of movement, the acting choices you might make, the way the character will react in a situation where they aren’t the main focus of the shot, the subtle shifts as another character leans in close for a kiss.  Know these answers before you start animating, and you’ll have more confidence in your shots as thus your work will be stronger.

The other thing that is imperative and is probably the most important thing you can do is clarify the intent of the shot.

This… will be the topic of my next post. :)

Tagged with:

14 Responses to Animation Quality vs. Quantity – What about Quality?!

1. Henk Kok says:

Fantastic thoughts on the subject!

2. Sebastian says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I’m so glad you came back writing about animation

3. [...] the last post I spoke about achieving quality in our work.  We separated the idea of a “quality” [...]

4. [...] Animation Quality Vs. Quantity – What About Quality? [...]

5. Hello truth be told there! This is without a doubt my initially comment here so that i just had to give a brief shout over and say Make enjoy looking through your articles or content. Can one recommend all other blogs/websites/forums which will cover the exact same topics? Thanks plenty!

6. ggensbeat says:

????????????????A??????????????????

7. ggensbeat says:

??????? ??????? ?????? ????????? ?????? | ??????? ?????? ????????? ?????? – ?????? ?????

8. parkacanada says:

Belles robes d’accueil pour les jeunes mariées , Acheter réception de mariage de robes en ligne

9. krissietoney says:

Bryllup tilbehør – Aisle stil UK

10. earringstiffany says:

?????? ?????? ???? 2014 ??? ????? ??? ??????? ??????? – ???? ????

11. ogaldezvanna says:

Aren’t getting a bargain cruise come to terms confused accompanied by a cheap holiday getaway.Sure if you’d like to stay in on the list of prime assert rooms assure for your be venturing into the allowance but our experience tells me that a new cruise ought to be enjoyed from ships veranda’s and terrific amenities not from a state room.If it’s what you have been after then you might need to consider a different sort of holiday.
    So which cruise line on earth do you select for just a cheap holiday cruise deal? Carnival, Hollywood, Crystal, Disney, Noble Caribbean…it ty of battle.These delivers obviously need be filled by means of passengers and additionally cheap cruise trip deals are there to be enjoyed.

So which cruise line on earth do you select for just a cheap holiday cruise deal? Carnival, Hollywood, Crystal, Disney, Noble Caribbean…it depends on where you ought to go on this planet.Today, cruiselines are offering more involving everything; more choices and more service plan.It’s all made for ensuring you recently have more fun.Let’s experience it, they want to gain your reiterate business.

There’s lots of areas online that you locate the right cheap luxury cruise deals.I understand of individuals who are total holiday cruise junkies ( roughly nine cruises a year ) in which are always monitoring the most up-to-date cheap holiday cruise deals.Cruiselines often list limited prices; you’ll strive to be quick just for these.Lots of individuals prefer to spend in groups which can reduce the complete cost belonging to the cruise even further but just for group promotions, you’ll plan to speak together with cruise tier agent.

For anybody who is a 1st timer and know the process in first of all, locating, and after that booking a low-cost cruise deal then the best advice can be to speak with productive done the software before.A lot better, your localized travel agent could answer much of your questions and if they won’t be able to, then the alarm bells need to be sounding!

Cheap cruise vacation deals however is not cheap cruise trip holidays.Similar to cheap cruise vacation deals and additionally luxury fun-filled special occasions.That will be nature in cruising on the world’s seas today.With your hip pocket probably will not be unduly ravaged.

12. I read this piece of writing completely concerning
    the comparison of most up-to-date and preceding technologies,
    it’s remarkable article.

13. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!
    I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back down the road.

Many thanks